Position Title: Director
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date: January 2016
The President provides the executive leadership for the Board of Directors, assisting them in the development of strategic directions and policy in the fulfillment of the agency’s mission. The position is responsible for the overall management and operation of Pet Allies in compliance with Board¬ adopted policies and all applicable local, state, and federal regulations and laws. The President provides the leadership role in securing the operating and endowment funds necessary to sustain current and future operations.
- Provide professional leadership to the Board of Directors in establishing and maintaining strategic direction to support the stability and, where feasible, growth of the agency.
- Develop, implement, fulfill, and monitor the short and long ¬term business and mission¬ based objectives approved by the Board of Directors.
- Direct the development of procedures to implement organizational policy and regulations.
- Supervise and coach executive staff in the fulfillment of agency operations, adopted policies, procedures, and applicable regulations.
- Insure fulfillment of daily agency operations, animal and client care standards, and sound business practices.
- Oversee preparation and execution of departmental budgets on annual basis, to include projected income and expenses; Administer and monitor revenues and expenses in relation to annual budget.
- Provide the overall direction of annual, major gift, endowment, and capital fund raising activity through Development staff management, donor cultivation, corporate, community, and foundation relationships.
- Coordinate Pet Allies’ activities with City and State agencies; insure compliance with all local and state regulations.
- Engage, provide leadership, training, and assistance to other animal welfare and advocacy organizations (local, national, and international) to enhance the animal welfare and protection movement. Testify as needed on legislative issues and to animal welfare groups to advance animal welfare interests.
- Serve as primary media spokesperson; Represent Pet Allies at community functions and special events.
- Under the direction of the Board of Directors: secure legal and other management consultants; participates on assigned projects or committees, and responds to special requests for information, research, or recommendations.
- Responsible for record keeping of all proceedings of the agency, personnel, and fiscal matters.
- Provide a healthy and safe workplace environment in compliance with State and local regulations and prepared to respond to the community’s needs in time of disaster.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring.
- This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Pet Allies is an at ¬will employer.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, customer, animal, or the agency at risk.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work is performed in an office setting, with regular exposure to animal kennels/shelter settings
- Regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment
- Typically stands, bends, stoops and crouches while working special events
- Regularly moves about the campus to coordinate work
- Frequent car and plane required
- Frequent weekend and evening work
- Consistently exposed to animals in the workplace and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available
- Tetanus and rabies (pre ¬exposure) inoculations are required or must be waived
- Regularly picks up animals or items weighing 50 lbs
Reporting Relationships and Contacts:
- Report to Board of Directors, Chairperson
- Supervise Shelter Manager
- Manage Clinic Operations
- Supervise Thrift Store Manager
- Masters Degree or equivalent required in a relevant field. (Equivalent is Bachelors Degree plus minimum four years in an equivalent position.)
- Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible management and supervisory experience, preferably in the animal protection field.
- Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (CAWA) preferred.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License and insurable driving record.
- Available to work at weekends, evening and holiday shifts as needed.
- Extensive experience or skills that equal education requirements (prove it to us).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategic goals with measurable results.
- Demonstrated ability to gather, assemble, correlate, and analyze facts and devise solutions or plans.
- Skilled at developing and documenting effective policies and practices related to animal welfare.
- Experience supervising employees, creating effective teams, and building a work culture reflective of the agency’s mission and goals.
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with culturally diverse communities of staff, volunteers, clients, colleagues, and donors; Ability to speak comfortably to all media outlets and before large audiences.
- Strong fiscal management and planning ability.
- Proven ability to fundraise and achieve funding goals.
- Knowledge of shelter and veterinary hospital operations and topics related to animal welfare.
- Computer skills in a Windows environment preferred.
- Ability to problem solve computer problems with assistance from Technical support.
- Willing to accommodate animals in the work place.
This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Pet Allies is an at¬ will employer. Additionally, applicant must be willing to work without salary or benefits until the organization has reached the financial ability to pay a salary for this position. Applicant must also personally guarantee the mortgage on the property which houses the clinic and thrift store.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary negotiable when the applicant brings the organization to a point that it can sustain such salary.
- Applicant will make a significant impact on animals and their families in the Show Low and surrounding areas. You will make a difference.
- A consortium of individuals may apply and share this position.
Send resume and cover letter to:
ATTN: RJ Owens, Director, Pet Allies, Inc. 4050 S White Mountain Rd. Show Low, AZ 85901
Adoption Ambassadors Coordinator - Volunteer Position
Summary of Duties
To find, train and support Adoption Ambassadors for the duration of their foster experience in order to get more shelter animals adopted; and to act as liaison between Adoption Ambassadors and staff
1. Recruit Adoption Ambassadors
- Tap existing foster parents
- Advertise for Adoption Ambassadors online and via outreach in the community
2. Train and Equip Ambassadors
- Provide one-on-one and/or group training
- Distribute and collect Adoption Ambassadors agreements/contracts
- Assign a foster animal or assist Ambassadors in choosing one
- Provide resources to Ambassadors (leash/collar, food, bowls, bed, Adopt Me vest, business cards, etc.)
3. Communicate with Ambassadors on a regular basis and as needed (including outside business hours)
- Initiate weekly phone call or email to Ambassadors to check in on each animal; make sure they know
- Coordinator is the shelter’s point of contact and they should not be contacting anyone else on staff about their animal
- Make sure Ambassadors know to contact Coordinator immediately for an emergency (bite, lost animal and any health or behavior concerns)
4. Communicate with shelter staff
- Share information about the Adoption Ambassadors program with staff
- Invite staff to participate in the program
- Keep shelter staff apprised of the status of animals in the program
- Adoption Ambassadors
- Coordinator Job Description
- Pet Allies
- Adoption Ambassador Job Description
5. Help Ambassadors optimize adoption possibilities
- Make sure Ambassadors have a good photo/bio of their animals and assist them if necessary
- Share good marketing/social media tips with Ambassadors
- Post all animals in the program on agency website and social media channels
- Frequently notify Ambassadors about upcoming adoption events where they can bring animals
- Provide Ambassadors with additional information to help them succeed: tips on potty training, crate training, loose-leash walking, litter box use, etc.
- If Ambassadors go on vacation or are no longer able to care for their animal, assist them in finding an alternative Ambassador or other care
6. Maintain database of all animals in the program
- Include details about the animal (age, gender, breed and medical info)(can be done in Pet Point on line software)
- Include contact information for Ambassadors
7. Assist with adoption paperwork and follow-up
- Answer any questions Ambassadors have about completing adoption paperwork
- Make sure adopted animals are entered into the agency’s computer system
- Make sure Ambassadors return all supplies to the agency if they are not taking another animal
- Celebrate every adoption! Send a thank-you note or email to Ambassadors for helping save a life and shout out the success on social media, with staff and volunteers, etc.
Veterinarian Recovery Room Assistant - Volunteer Position
Observation and documentation is an essential role of the Recovery Room Assistant
- Pays attention to detail
- Monitor the patient while still under the effects of anesthesia
- Clips the nails and cleans the ears while patient is still under anesthesia
- Checks for fleas and tics
- Follows procedures for a safe recovery of the patient
- Follows procedures for the safety of the technician while dealing with feral feline
- Takes direction from the veterinarian or veterinarian assistant
- Documents times of recovery such as focusing the eyes, moving the head and body
- Removes any instruments from the mouth when recovery is observed
- Assures the patient is breathing properly
- Communicates with the front desk technician
- Lifting is helpful but not required
- Sitting on the floor is helpful but not required
- Launders the towels used for patient bedding
- After surgery cleaning of floors, mats, laundry, restroom, etc
Packs Technician - Volunteer Position
Sterilization and contamination prevention is essential for a Packs Technician
- Follows procedures for sterilizing the surgical instruments
- Cleans the work area
- Assembles the sterilized surgical tools into packs in preparation for the next surgery
- Launders linen used for patient bedding
- After surgery cleaning of floors, mats, laundry, etc.
- Helps with recovery patients
Communication is essential for the Discharge Technician
- Checks incision and condition of patient
- Follows discharge procedures
- Observes whether the patient is ready to go home
- Communicates thorough detailed instructions for home care of the patient
- Communicates thorough instructions for medication administering
More Volunteer Opportunities
Computer entry, forms design
- Cage/kennel cleaning
- Supply inventory
- Provide lunch for clinic volunteers
- Post clinic cleanup
- Clinic client/pet morning intake
- Preparation for clinics stocking supplies
- Surgery pack cleaning/prep/sterilization
- Pet discharge/release post surgery
- Pet Recovery post surgery
- Serve lunch for clinic volunteers
Hands-on work with foster animals
- Socializing animals in the store: (grooming/playing with cats)
- Adoption counselor at offsite adoption events or at the store
- Bottle feeding orphaned kittens or puppies
- Feeding feral cats
- Trapping feral cats for neutering
- Foster home for: cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, other small pets
Phone work, paperwork, computer work, and other volunteer opportunities
- E-mail and phone volunteers to assist People with information about animal Behavior and to follow up on adoptions (training provided)
- Pick up donations for thrift store
- Creating adoption flyers for animals
- Tabling and/or event day volunteer
- Writing thank you notes, filing
- Animal food donation coordinator
- Advocates for feral cats, to solve problems
- Publicity; outreach to local media
- Special Events Coordinator; organize outreach events or meetings
- Team Leader; assist with managing volunteer programs
- Data entry
- Barkin' Basement Thrift Store
- Distribution; putting up posters/flyers to promote adoption and special events
- Manager for programs or special projects
- Sewing, knitting or crocheting cat beds
- Lawyer; provide pro bono legal advice
- Veterinarian or veterinary technician
- Photographer, to promote adoptions
- Web design and maintenance
- Desktop publishing, graphic design
- Writer, editor
- Computer technician
- Public relations, marketing