Assistant Shelter Manager
Title: Shelter Assistant Manager
Reports to: Shelter Manager
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To ensure the well-being of all animals cared for by Pet Allies (PA). To serve as the liaison between animal caregivers and the Shelter Manager. To maintain a commitment to the philosophies and policies of PA in the performance of his/her duties and respect the dignity and basic rights of each animal. To support the mission of PA.
Assist with establishing and maintaining policy and procedure for animal care housing, husbandry, exercise, socialization, and medication administration according to industry and PA standards for animals under the care of PA.
Assist with maintaining accurate paperwork including but not limited to medical records, adoptions, strays, surrenders, wildlife, and euthanasia including both manual and electronic record keeping.
Provide guidance and directive to animal care staff in the absence of the Shelter Manager.
Assist with surgery schedule including the selection of animals and coordinating schedules with veterinarians, staff, and volunteers.
Assist with foster program coordination including but not limited to being a caseworker, coordinating foster animals leaving/returning to PA, ensuring medical care is received as needed, scheduling vet appointments, and assisting with foster orientation.
Assist with maintaining the inventory and ordering of animal housing/husbandry and medical care supplies.
Work with behavior staff in the evaluation of the health and behavior of animals and determine appropriate paths to disposition.
Assist with coordinating the transfer of animals to/from Rescue and Shelter Partners with consideration for individual animal needs, medical and behavior considerations, adoption trends, and kennel space.
Assist with processing adoption applications and the communication and follow-up for adoption matches, non-matches, and denials, in conjunction with the Customer Relations Manager.
Assist with providing pre-surrender counseling to ensure customers’ understanding of alternatives to surrender.
Assist with providing feline behavior problem counseling to cat owners (both adopters and the general public.)
Participate in organizational committee initiatives.
Assist with providing support to the Community Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator in the supervision of animal care volunteers.
Assist with maintaining fire extinguishers and Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
Act as Animal Caregiver, Adoption Counselor, and Customer Relations Associate, as needed.
All other duties as assigned.
Technical degree conducive with supporting the responsibilities of this position or experience.
Minimum of two years’ experience in an animal related field, i.e. humane society, veterinary clinic. If you have knowledge about animals equal to this experience, please explain.
Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Able to work with minimal supervision.
Experienced animal handling skills.
Proven customer service skills.
Computer literate and able to operate office equipment.
Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills with attention to detail.
Able to work flexible hours, which will include evenings, weekends, and holidays on a rotating basis.
Able to lift and carry animals, equipment, and supplies in excess of 50 pounds.
Valid Driver’s License.
Passion for issues relating to animal welfare.
Physical demands include:
lifting and moving animals and cages.
administering dangerous and lethal drugs.
frequent movement, including but not limited to standing, walking, stooping, carrying heavy loads, movement of cages, restraining active animals, and operation of motor vehicle.
Working conditions include:
possible exposure to dangerous, diseased, frightened, and injured animals.
possible exposure to potentially harmful chemicals and drugs.
working with strong cleaning agents on wet surfaces.
indoor and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Emotional demands include:
o animal abuse.
o animal neglect.
Hourly work, average of 30 hours per week, wage based on experience.
Pet Allies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Adoption Ambassadors Coordinator - Volunteer Position
Summary of Duties
To find, train and support Adoption Ambassadors for the duration of their foster experience in order to get more shelter animals adopted; and to act as liaison between Adoption Ambassadors and staff
1. Recruit Adoption Ambassadors
- Tap existing foster parents
- Advertise for Adoption Ambassadors online and via outreach in the community
2. Train and Equip Ambassadors
- Provide one-on-one and/or group training
- Distribute and collect Adoption Ambassadors agreements/contracts
- Assign a foster animal or assist Ambassadors in choosing one
- Provide resources to Ambassadors (leash/collar, food, bowls, bed, Adopt Me vest, business cards, etc.)
3. Communicate with Ambassadors on a regular basis and as needed (including outside business hours)
- Initiate weekly phone call or email to Ambassadors to check in on each animal; make sure they know
- Coordinator is the shelter’s point of contact and they should not be contacting anyone else on staff about their animal
- Make sure Ambassadors know to contact Coordinator immediately for an emergency (bite, lost animal and any health or behavior concerns)
4. Communicate with shelter staff
- Share information about the Adoption Ambassadors program with staff
- Invite staff to participate in the program
- Keep shelter staff apprised of the status of animals in the program
- Adoption Ambassadors
- Coordinator Job Description
- Pet Allies
- Adoption Ambassador Job Description
5. Help Ambassadors optimize adoption possibilities
- Make sure Ambassadors have a good photo/bio of their animals and assist them if necessary
- Share good marketing/social media tips with Ambassadors
- Post all animals in the program on agency website and social media channels
- Frequently notify Ambassadors about upcoming adoption events where they can bring animals
- Provide Ambassadors with additional information to help them succeed: tips on potty training, crate training, loose-leash walking, litter box use, etc.
- If Ambassadors go on vacation or are no longer able to care for their animal, assist them in finding an alternative Ambassador or other care
6. Maintain database of all animals in the program
- Include details about the animal (age, gender, breed and medical info)(can be done in Pet Point on line software)
- Include contact information for Ambassadors
7. Assist with adoption paperwork and follow-up
- Answer any questions Ambassadors have about completing adoption paperwork
- Make sure adopted animals are entered into the agency’s computer system
- Make sure Ambassadors return all supplies to the agency if they are not taking another animal
- Celebrate every adoption! Send a thank-you note or email to Ambassadors for helping save a life and shout out the success on social media, with staff and volunteers, etc.
Veterinarian Recovery Room Assistant - Volunteer Position
Observation and documentation is an essential role of the Recovery Room Assistant
- Pays attention to detail
- Monitor the patient while still under the effects of anesthesia
- Clips the nails and cleans the ears while patient is still under anesthesia
- Checks for fleas and tics
- Follows procedures for a safe recovery of the patient
- Follows procedures for the safety of the technician while dealing with feral feline
- Takes direction from the veterinarian or veterinarian assistant
- Documents times of recovery such as focusing the eyes, moving the head and body
- Removes any instruments from the mouth when recovery is observed
- Assures the patient is breathing properly
- Communicates with the front desk technician
- Lifting is helpful but not required
- Sitting on the floor is helpful but not required
- Launders the towels used for patient bedding
- After surgery cleaning of floors, mats, laundry, restroom, etc
Packs Technician - Volunteer Position
Sterilization and contamination prevention is essential for a Packs Technician
- Follows procedures for sterilizing the surgical instruments
- Cleans the work area
- Assembles the sterilized surgical tools into packs in preparation for the next surgery
- Launders linen used for patient bedding
- After surgery cleaning of floors, mats, laundry, etc.
- Helps with recovery patients
Communication is essential for the Discharge Technician
- Checks incision and condition of patient
- Follows discharge procedures
- Observes whether the patient is ready to go home
- Communicates thorough detailed instructions for home care of the patient
- Communicates thorough instructions for medication administering
More Volunteer Opportunities
Computer entry, forms design
- Cage/kennel cleaning
- Supply inventory
- Provide lunch for clinic volunteers
- Post clinic cleanup
- Clinic client/pet morning intake
- Preparation for clinics stocking supplies
- Surgery pack cleaning/prep/sterilization
- Pet discharge/release post surgery
- Pet Recovery post surgery
- Serve lunch for clinic volunteers
Hands-on work with foster animals
- Socializing animals in the store: (grooming/playing with cats)
- Adoption counselor at offsite adoption events or at the store
- Bottle feeding orphaned kittens or puppies
- Feeding feral cats
- Trapping feral cats for neutering
- Foster home for: cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, other small pets
Phone work, paperwork, computer work, and other volunteer opportunities
- E-mail and phone volunteers to assist People with information about animal Behavior and to follow up on adoptions (training provided)
- Pick up donations for thrift store
- Creating adoption flyers for animals
- Tabling and/or event day volunteer
- Writing thank you notes, filing
- Animal food donation coordinator
- Advocates for feral cats, to solve problems
- Publicity; outreach to local media
- Special Events Coordinator; organize outreach events or meetings
- Team Leader; assist with managing volunteer programs
- Data entry
- Barkin' Basement Thrift Store
- Distribution; putting up posters/flyers to promote adoption and special events
- Manager for programs or special projects
- Sewing, knitting or crocheting cat beds
- Lawyer; provide pro bono legal advice
- Veterinarian or veterinary technician
- Photographer, to promote adoptions
- Web design and maintenance
- Desktop publishing, graphic design
- Writer, editor
- Computer technician
- Public relations, marketing