Shopping with a cause.
All proceeds benefit local pets with our spay/neuter program, pet fostering and adoptions. Gently used donations are appreciated and help further the mission.
Show Soon & Often Before someone buys your bargain!
- Sheets -- Towels
- Kitchen Items
- Kid's Items
- Sports Equipment
- Toys & Games
- Pet Items
- Home Décor
Donations of goods to the Barkin' Basement provide the majority of fund-raising for Pet Allies' programs. Volunteers able to spend a couple of hours or more a month at the store would be greatly appreciated. Complete a volunteer application or come by the store!
PET ALLIES – Barkin’ Basement Thrift Store
Mission: Eliminate Pet Overpopulation thru non-lethal means
Title: Thrift Shop Manager
Reports to: Director
Supervises: Volunteers, Sales Associates
Status: full-time (30-40 hours depending on time of year)
Salary Range: $12 to $14 per hour, depending on experience
Date: February 14, 2019
Job Summary: Work with the Director and Thrift Shop staff and volunteers to effectively
and efficiently direct the operation of Pet Allies’ Thrift Shop. We are looking for an individual with a vibrant, entrepreneurial spirit who has a proven track record of success in managing a retail operation and demonstrated passion for customer and community service. This is a physically demanding position, requiring standing, walking and climbing stairs for most of the work day. The Thrift Shop operation is a key part of the Pet Allies’ fundraising program and proceeds are used to save animals lives and provide subsidized wellness services, especially spay and neuter services, to low income families. The shop also serves the community by recycling unwanted items and providing low cost items to the community.
1. Train and supervise volunteers and help create a positive, cooperative,
rewarding work experience for them.
2. Develop strategies for recruiting, rewarding and retaining volunteers. Assist
3. Supervise the Assistant Thrift Shop Manager; help with setting
goals for the position; conduct regular performance evaluations.
4. Set up systems to manage intake, sorting, merchandising and sale of donated
5. Develop and manage internal controls for inventory and cash proceeds;
reconcile daily and weekly cash deposits.
6. Meet sales goals. Coordinate store promotions and events to drive sales.
7. Monitor competitive merchandise market environments (pricing and
practices) and make changes in operations, as needed.
8. Ensure high standards for donor and customer relations. Establish
relationships with area businesses, organizations, and individuals.
9. Develop plans for future operations.
10. Develop a marketing and advertising strategy for the shop which is
integrated with the overall marketing efforts of Pet Allies.
11. Keep Director informed of staff, operational and financial matters. Provide
monthly report of sales activities, expenses, projects and public relations
12. Work in conjunction with the Director and Bookkeeper to develop an
annual operating budget.
13. Attend staff meetings, board meetings and other meetings of leaders,
as requested. Attend meetings of local Chamber of Commerce and other similar agencies.
14. Identify and manage potential conflicts between thrift shop and other Pet Allies
programs. Collaborate with the clinic’s operation, foster and adoption department operation and other Pet Allies’ programs.
1. Standing and walking for most of the day in constrained retail space;
Walking some distance to storage container and dumpsters several times a day.
2. Frequent reaching, bending, stooping, and stretching.
3. Lifting and carrying (up to 45 pounds).
4. Keyboarding and working at a desk with limited ergonomic function.
5. Ability to communicate clearly with volunteers and staff.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a business related field, or the equivalent,
preferred. If you don’t have an education, but you feel able to do this job, prove it.
Experience: Three years experience with retail sales and management, including
supervising employees. Experience recruiting and working with volunteers.
Experience with online auction sales desired.
Other Skills: Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to work in a fast
paced environment with grace and good humor; good conflict resolution and
management skills. Good organizational skills and ability to be self motivated.
Ability to train and develop team members, solve problems with good judgment,
delegate responsibilities and make decisions independently. Proficiency with
Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word).
To Apply for this Position:
Submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at Monday-Friday, 1321 N 16th Street, Show Low. Questions should be directed to RJ Owens.